State’s money-saving programs aim to keep military members, vets in Utah

  • Published
  • By Micah Garbarino
  • 388th Fighter Wing Public Affairs

HILL AIR FORCE BASE, Utah, -- The Utah Department of Veterans and Military Affairs recently announced several programs that will benefit current and former service members in the state.

These include a first-time homebuyer grant of $2,500, license reciprocity for military members and spouses with professional licenses in other states, and pro-bono legal assistance. The following information and links are from the state. 

Homebuyer Program
The Utah Veteran First-time Homebuyer Grant gifts $2,500 to Veterans and those currently serving who purchase their first home in Utah. Veteran eligibility is established by the Utah Department of Veteran and Military Affairs.

Veteran eligibility is those veterans and currently serving members of the military, who are eligible for a VA Home Loan Certificate of Eligibility, and if no longer serving, have separated within the last 5 years.

For more information and an application visit:

Military Spouse Employment Licensing
Utah passed a law this year that expanded the exemption for military and military spouses stationed in Utah from needing a State of Utah issued occupational or professional license to be employed in the state – provided they maintain a valid license in another state.

This exemption is one of the first of its kind in the country, and supports the services’ priority of making military spouse careers more portable, profitable, and fulfilling. The military and spouse exemption applies to virtually all professions in Utah including more than 80 professions regulated by the Department of Commerce Division of Occupational & Professional Licensing (DOPL).

For more information visit:

Pro-bono Legal Assistance
Utah@Ease is a program led by the Office of the Utah Attorney General in conjunction with the Utah Department of Veterans and Military Affairs; a public-private partnership offering pro bono legal assistance and representation to Active Duty, Reserve, National Guard service members and Veterans in a variety of civil law matters.

Assistance through the program is by referral only. For referral to this program Active Duty, National Guard and Reserve service members in need of legal assistance should contact their local Judge Advocate General Office. Veterans should contact their local Veterans Service Officers through the Utah Department of Veterans Affairs.

For more information, contact Larry Schmidt,, or (385) 227-9599.