Chief Master Sgt. Karen Cloyd is the Command Chief of the 388th Fighter Wing, Hill Air Force Base, Utah. She advises the commander on all issues regarding the health, welfare, readiness and morale affecting the wing’s 1,900 enlisted force personnel. The wing’s mission is to maintain combat readiness to deploy, employ, and sustain F-35 Lightning IIs worldwide, in order to fly, fight, and win any conflict. Chief Cloyd represents the interests of the 388th Fighter Wing Airmen across Hill AFB and throughout the local community.
Chief Cloyd enlisted in the Air Force in March of 1997 and has served in a variety of leadership positions. As a military training leader, she managed the discipline, morale, welfare and housing of 3,500 Airmen annually. Chief Cloyd has led at the group level, as superintendent of wing staff agencies, where she advised the commander on all enlisted issues concerning discipline, health, morale, welfare and mentorship of approximately 200 Airmen. As a major command Functional Manager, Chief Cloyd oversaw the manning needs of five wings, developed, implement and evaluated command and control policy effecting 91 authorizations within Air Force Space Command. Chief Cloyd also led more than 200 Airmen and expeditionary squadrons as an operations group superintendent to provide a U.S.-based lethal warfighting platform for the employment, deployment, reception and throughput of air and space forces in the indo-pacific region.
1997 Command And Control Apprentice Course, Keesler Air Force Base, Miss.
1998 United States Air Forces in Europe Nuclear Command and Control Course, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
2001 Airman Leadership School, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
2003 Associate of Applied Science Degree in Information Systems Management, Community College of the Air Force, Montgomery, Ala. by correspondence
2006 Military Training Leader Course, Lackland AFB, Texas
2007 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Lackland AFB, Texas
2008 Associate of Applied Science Degree in Education and Training Management, CCAF, Montgomery, Ala. by correspondence
2009 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education, National Defense University, Washington, D.C., by correspondence
2012 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Gunter Annex-Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2013 Bachelor of Arts Degree in Emergency/Disaster Management, American Military University, Charles Town, W.V.
2016 Joint Nuclear Command and Control Course, Offutt AFB, Neb.
2020 Senior Enlisted Joint Leader Professional Military Education II Course, National Defense University, Washington, D.C., by correspondence
1. March 1997-April 1997 Trainee, 320th Training Squadron, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
2. April 1997-August 1997 Student, 334th Training Squadron, Keesler AFB, Miss.
3. August 1997-August 2000 Emergency Actions Controller, 31st Fighter Wing, Aviano Air Base, Italy
4. August 2000-August 2006 Noncommissioned Officer-in-charge, Operations Reports & Analysis, Headquarters Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
5. August 2006-October 2008 Asst. Flight Chief, Military Training, 344th Training Squadron, Lackland AFB, Texas
6. October 2008-August 2010 Flight Chief, Military Training, 345th Training Squadron, Lackland AFB, Texas
7. August 2010-June 2013 Superintendent, Hill Command Post, Hill AFB, Utah
(September 2011-March 2012 Superintendent, Command Post, 380th Air Expeditionary Wing, Al Dhafra AB, UAE)
8. June 2013-June 2016 Superintendent, Aviano Command Post, 31st Fighter Wing, Aviano AB, Italy
9. October 2015-June 2016 Superintendent, Wing Staff Agencies, 31st Fighter Wing, Aviano AB, Italy
10. July 2016-June 2017 Superintendent, Minot Command Post, Minot AFB, N.D.
11. June 2017-August 2018 Command and Control Operations Functional Manager, Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
12. September 2018-May 2020 Superintendent, 36th Operations Group, Andersen AFB, Guam
13. May 2020-present Command Chief, 388th Fighter Wing, Hill AFB, Utah
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Recognition Ribbon with oak leaf cluster
Humanitarian Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with “N” device and oak leaf cluster
1997 United States Air Forces in Europe Command and Control School Top Team Award
2004 Air Force Special Operations Command Air Operations Noncommissioned Officer of the Year
2007 Noncommissioned Officer Academy Distinguished Graduate
2007 344th Training Squadron Military Training Leader of the Year
2009 United States Air Force Military Training Leader of the Year
2011 75th Air Base Wing Senior Noncommissioned Officer of the Year
2012 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy Distinguished Graduate
2013 Aviano Air Base Command Post Senior Noncommissioned Officer of the Year
2013 Aviano AB Command Post Command and Control Operations Senior Noncommissioned Officer of the Year
2015 31st Fighter Wing Staff Agency Senior Noncommissioned Officer of the Year
2015 USAFE Command Post Unit Senior Noncommissioned Officer of the Year
2015 USAF Command Post Unit Senior Noncommissioned Officer of the Year
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant Feb. 1, 2017
(Current as of June 2020)