Colonel Michael T. Ebner is the Vice Commander, 388th Fighter Wing, Hill Air Force Base, Utah. The wing's mission is to maintain combat readiness to deploy, employ, and sustain F-35s worldwide, in order to fly, fight and win any conflict. Colonel Ebner is responsible for the readiness, training, morale, and welfare of 1,800 personnel who maintain and operate F-35A aircraft across six squadrons. Additionally, he provides operational oversight and direction for nearly 450 reserve maintainers and operators in the 419th Fighter Wing. He is also responsible for the Utah Test and Training Range, a 3.2 million acre jewel in Utah’s west desert that provides operational test and evaluation of weapons requiring a large safety footprint.
Colonel Ebner received his commission in 1997 after graduating the Air Force Reserve Officers Training program at Marquette University, Wis. He was a distinguished graduate at Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training prior to attending F-15E basic qualification training. Colonel Ebner has more than 2,300 flying hours including 263 combat hours. Colonel Ebner has served as an Air Liaison Officer in Korea, attended the Weapons Instructor Course, the Army’s Command and General Staff College, and was one of ten F-35A initial cadre pilots at Eglin AFB, Fla. Colonel Ebner served in operations NOBLE EAGLE, IRAQI FREEDOM and ENDURING FREEDOM.
1997 Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering, Marquette University, Milwaukee, Wis.
2002 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2007 Masters of Arts in Political Science, American Military University, Va.
2008 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2010 Army Command & General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2013 Air War College, by correspondence
2016 Masters of Science in National Security and Resource Strategy, National Defense University, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. October 1997 – December 1998, Student, Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, 8th and 25th Fighter Training Squadron, Vance Air Force Base, Okla.
2. January 1998 – April 1998, student, Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, 49th Fighter Training Squadron, Columbus AFB, Miss.
3. May 1999 – December 1999, student, F-15E Formal Training Unit, 333d Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
4. January 2000 – September 2002, scheduler and instructor pilot, 336th Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
5. October 2002 – October 2003, flight commander and Air Liaison Officer, 2d Brigade, 2d Infantry Division, Camp Casey Army Installation, South Korea.
6. November 2003 – June 2006, Flight Commander and Instructor Pilot, 492d Fighter Squadron, Royal Air Force Lakenheath, United Kingdom
7. July 2006 – May 2008, Weapons & Tactics Flight Commander, 333d Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
8. June 2008 – Jun 2009, Wing Weapons & Tactics Flight Commander, 4th Operations Support Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
9. July 2009 – June 2010, Student, Army Command & General Staff College, Ft. Leavenworth, Kan.
10. July 2010 – July 2012, Assistant Director of Operations, 58th Fighter Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
11. August 2012 – December 2012, Director of Operations, 33d Operations Support Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
12. January 2013 – August 2013, Director of Operations, 58th Fighter Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
13. October 2013 – June 2015, Commander, 61st Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
14. July 2015 – June 2016, Student, Eisenhower School, Ft. McNair, Washington, D.C.
15. July 2016 – May 2017, Observer/Trainer, Deployable Training Division, Joint Training, Joint Staff/J7, Suffolk, Va.
16. June 2017 – June 2018, Chief, Air Force Division, United States Military Training Mission, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
17. June 2018 – Present, Vice Commander, 388th Fighter Wing, Hill AFB, Utah
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
July 2016 – May 2017, Observer/Trainer, Deployable Training Division, Joint Training, Joint Staff/J7, Suffolk, Va., as a colonel
June 2017 – June 2018, Chief, Air Force Division, United States Military Training Mission, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: more than 2,300 hours including 263 combat hours
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, AT-38B, F-15E and F-35A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant July 29, 1997
First Lieutenant July 29, 1999
Captain July 29, 2001
Major May 1, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel Dec., 2011
Colonel March, 2018
(Current as of June 2018)